Friday, May 3, 2013

Fill my Cup!


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 16. Here is what I learned.

The Lord is my inheritance and my cup. You are the one who determines my destiny. Psalm 16:5 (GW)

You, Eternal One, are my sustenance and my life-giving cup. In that cup, You hold my future and my eternal riches. Psalm 16:5 (VOICE)

Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine. Psalm 16:5 (NLT)

"The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup." With what confidence and bounding joy does Jesus turn to Jehovah, whom his soul possessed and delighted in! Content beyond measure with his portion in the Lord his God, he had not a single desire with which to hunt after other gods; his cup was full, and his heart was full too......
He is our portion, supplying all our necessities, and our cup yielding royal luxuries; our cup in this life, and our inheritance in the life to come. As children of the Father who is in heaven, we inherit, by virtue of our joint heirship with Jesus, all the riches of the covenant of grace. The Treasury of David
The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance. The meaning here is, that Yahweh was the being whom the psalmist worshipped as God, and that he sought no possession or comfort which did not proceed from him.
And my cup. The idea here is this: "The cup that I drink - that cheers, refreshes, and sustains me - is the Lord. I find comfort, refreshment, happiness, in him alone; not in the intoxicating bowl; not in sensual joys; but in God - in his being, perfections, friendship."
Thou maintainest my lot - Thou dost defend my portion, or that which is allotted to me. The reference is to what he specifies in the following verse as his inheritance, and he says that that which was so valuable to him was sustained or preserved by God. He was the portion of his soul; he was the source of all his joy; he maintained or preserved all that was dear to his heart. Barnes' Notes on the Bible

Cheers, refreshes, and sustains me.... I find comfort, refreshment, happiness.... in God—in His being, perfections, friendship. Wow. The source of my refreshment and sustaining happiness is God. He is the eternal spring of life, that continues to supply the cool refreshing joy that only God can give. 

To create a positive day, I need to make sure my “cup” is emptied of all the false fillers the world gives and allow God to fill my cup with His blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment