Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Take Notice of God’s Works—and Smile!


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 92. Here is what I learned.

For You, O Lord, have made me glad by Your works; at the deeds of Your hands I joyfully sing. Psalm 92:4 (AMP)

Because You, O Eternal One, thrill me with the things You have done, I will sing with joy in light of Your deeds. Psalm 92:4 (VOICE)

You made me find joy in what you have done, O Lord. I will sing joyfully about the works of your hands. Psalm 92:4 (GW)

"For thou, Lord, hast made me glad through thy work." It was natural for the Psalmist to sing, because he was glad, and to sing unto the Lord, because his gladness was caused by a contemplation of the divine work. If we consider either creation or providence, we shall find overflowing reasons for joy; but when we come to review the work of redemption, gladness knows no bounds, but feels that she must praise the Lord with all her might. There are times when in the contemplation of redeeming love we feel that if we did not sing we must die; silence would be as horrible to us as if we were gagged by inquisitors, or stifled by murderers. "I will triumph in the works of thy hands." I cannot help it, I must and I will rejoice in the Lord, even as one who has won the victory and has divided great spoil. In the first sentence of this verse he expresses the unity of God's work, and in the second the variety of his works; in both there is reason for gladness and triumph. When God reveals his work to a man, and performs a work in his soul, he makes his heart glad most effectually, and then the natural consequence is continual praise. The Treasury of David

As I recovery from surgery, from a human stand point, there isn’t much to be glad about. I’m uncomfortable and in pain. But when I think of all that God has done, my heart rejoices and sings. When I think back over all the people I met while at the hospital, I smile. It was a joy to share smiles with each person I met. 

One lady mentioned that I was the “most positive person she’s met”. What a great compliment. But that is due to Who God is and what He is accomplishing in my life. I can choose to see God at work and praise Him for what He has done, and what He is doing, or I can choose to complain and miss out on those great opportunities to share that God is bigger than I am. 

God has made me glad, and even as I deal with the additional pain from surgery, I can smile because of God’s goodness and all He has done! To create a positive day, I need to take notice of God’s works—and smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment