Last night my headache started to increase in intensity. I did all my normal tricks to lower it, but nothing worked. This morning, I was hoping it would be back to its normal level, but it's still intense. Trying to get ready, so I can run a few errands today, is somewhat hindered by the headache.
As I was reclining on the Daybed resting, I realized that my headache even is a blessing. Really? Yes. Since my headache is more intense, the TV and radio are turned off. Usually, I have one or the other on—my brain usually functions better when there is "noise". However, today, it's quiet and that has allowed me to realize more blessings God has given me.
Here are some blessings
which God has provided—
which I may have missed
if I didn't have a headache!
- My apartment building. It's very quiet. I don't hear my neighbors, and since I'm in the building furthest from the main street, I don't hear much traffic.
- My apartment. Being on the 2nd floor makes me at "tree top level". The birds enjoy sitting on the trees right outside my windows. The songs the birds sing keep Max and me company and are reminders of God's creative hand.
- The stillness. God says, “Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10 (NASB) When I'm "forced" to be still or "cease striving" I am able to spend quality time with God—meditating on His Word and talking with Him.
- Better days. Living with chronic pain is at times overwhelming. Yet, when I have a "worse day", it makes me more thankful for my "normal" pain level days. I'm thankful that God knows what I can endure and gives me strength for each day—whether it is a "normal" or "worse" day.
- God's attention to detail. As a "detail" person myself, I love how God takes care of each and every detail. I've posted before about how God makes sure Max is aware of my headache and pain levels. Yesterday, Max woke up "talking and chatting" and it lasted much of the day. However, today, Max woke up and said a few "happys" and has been quiet since. Today, is also the day I see my Chiropractor. His treatments often help lower my headache intensity. So, what better day to have a "bad headache" (although I've never had a 'good' headache), then on a day I see my Chiropractor? God's timing is perfect.
- Prayerful friends. It's so comforting to know that no matter my headache or pain level, friends are talking with God about me. It's so cool to realize that the Creator of all things, is hearing MY NAME! And God knows exactly who I am. WOW!
Can a headache be a blessing. Yes! It's all a matter of perspective. And since I want to create a positive day—even with a bad headache—I can find many blessings surrounding me.