Sunday, May 19, 2013

Keeping All Promises, No Matter the Cost


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 15. Here is what I learned.

The one who despises those rejected by God but honors those who fear the Lord. The one who makes a promise and does not break it, even though he is hurt by it. Psalm 15:4 (GW)

The one who loathes the loathsome, honors those who fear the Eternal, And keeps all promises no matter the cost. Psalm 15:4 (VOICE)

Keeps all promises no matter the cost. Often we hear of litigation because someone didn’t fulfill a contract, and the reason was it would cost more to complete a project than originally thought. Costs increase and contractors, etc, want more money to complete a job. When we make promises, we must never do so lightly, for we are to keep the promises we make, no matter what it will cost us... the includes, time, talent, money, etc. Am I true to my word? Do I do as I promise? When I say I’ll do something, do I do it? 

There are phrases we say often without thinking. For example, “I’ll pray for you.” Often, the is a automatic response when we hear of someone in trouble or sick. But do we actually, PRAY? 

The next area we sometimes make promises is in the area of accountability. If we say we will hold someone accountable to either do something, or not do something, do we follow through? Or are we too shy and timid to check in to see if the person is doing ok? Perhaps we don’t want to “check in” because we are ashamed of our actions. But Psalm 15:4, says “keeps all promises, no matter the cost.” 

He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not - Who has made a promise, or entered into a contract, that is likely to turn out contrary to his expectations, to his own disadvantage; but who still adheres to his engagement. If the thing itself is wrong; if he has made a promise, or pledged himself to do a wicked thing, he cannot be under obligation to execute it; he should at once abandon it (compare the notes at Matthew 14:9); but he is not at liberty to violate an agreement simply because it will be a loss to him, or because he ascertains that it will not be, as he supposed, to his advantage. Barnes' Notes on the Bible

Can people believe what I say? Honesty. Integrity. True to my word. I’m very thankful that God is a promise keeper! He fulfills all His promises. That is an awesome comfort! 

To create a positive day, I need to be a person of honesty and integrity, keeping all promises, no matter the cost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment