Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fruit Producer


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 1. Here is what I learned.

He is like a tree planted beside streams— a tree that produces fruit in season and whose leaves do not wither. He succeeds in everything he does. Psalm 1:3 (GW)

And he shall be like a tree planted by the streams of water, That bringeth forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also doth not wither; And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. Psalm 1:3 (ASV)

He is "like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season;" not unseasonable graces, like untimely figs, which are never full-flavoured. But the man who delights in God's Word, being taught by it, bringeth forth patience in the time of suffering, faith in the day of trial, and holy joy in the hour of prosperity. Fruitfulness is an essential quality of: a gracious man, and that fruitfulness should be seasonable.
But to the eye of faith this word is sure, and by it we perceive that our works are prospered, even when everything seems to go against us. It is not outward prosperity which the Christian most desires and values; it is soul prosperity which he longs for.  The trials of the saint are a divine husbandry, by which he grows and brings forth abundant fruit. The Treasury of David

As I read Psalm 1:3 this morning, the phrase, “produces fruit”, I had to stop and think... Am I producing fruit? If so, what kind? As I asked myself these questions, Galatians 5:22, 23 came to mind. 

The Holy Spirit produces a different kind of fruit: unconditional love, joy, peace, patience, kindheartedness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. You won’t find any law opposed to fruit like this. Galatians 5:22, 23 (VOICE)

But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely. Galatians 5:22, 23 (MSG)

So, am I a fruit producer? Am I allowing the Holy Spirit to work in my life, so that I can produce fruit? Or am I just a tree that grows leaves and “looks pretty”? 

The only way to be a fruit producer is to study God’s Word and allow it to impact my life. To create a positive day, I need to be a fruit producer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment