Sunday, May 12, 2013

Strength to My Soul


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 138. Here is what I learned.

When I called, you answered me. You made me bold by strengthening my soul. Psalm 138:3 (GW) 

On the day I ·called [prayed] to you, you answered me. You ·made me strong and brave [have emboldened/encouraged my soul with strength]. Psalm 138:3 (EXB)

On the day I needed You, I called, and You responded and infused my soul with strength. Psalm 138:3 (VOICE)

"And strengthenedst me with strength in my soul." This was a true answer to his prayer. If the burden was not removed, yet strength was given wherewith to bear it, and this is an equally effective method of help. It may not be best for us that the trial should come to an end; it may be far more to our advantage that by its pressure we should learn patience. Sweet are the uses of adversity, and our prudent Father in heaven will not deprive us of those benefits. Strength imparted to the soul is an inestimable boon; it means courage, fortitude, assurance, heroism. By his word and Spirit the Lord can make the trembler brave, the sick whole, the weary bright. This soul-might will continue: the man having been strengthened for one emergency remains vigorous for life, and is prepared for all future labours and sufferings; unless, indeed, he throw away his force by unbelief, or pride, or some other sin. When God strengthens, none can weaken. Then is our soul strong indeed when the Lord infuses might into us. The Treasury of David

Today, I had a great example of this truth. When I got up this morning, I was discouraged. My pain level has been “too high” since surgery, and it was taking its toll on my spirit. When I got up this morning and checked Twitter, I saw that Patsy Clairmont was going to be speaking and the church was showing it online, live! God knew that the joy that Patsy would share would not only lift my spirits, but the truth she’d share would be just what “God ordered” for my soul. 

I think one of the points that stood out to me the most was the concept of “hearing aids for the heart”. So often we don’t hear what God is saying because we aren’t listening and we allow so much noise to block God’s voice. Listening to Patsy Clairmont this morning, strengthened my soul and God knew exactly what I needed, so He made sure I saw the tweet, so I could enjoy His message send via Patsy.

To create a positive day, I only have to ask God and He will answer me giving strength to my soul!  

No comments:

Post a Comment