Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Pulse Beat of My Experience

This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 1. Here is what I learned.

But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God) he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night. Psalm 1:2 (AMP)

But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. Psalm 1:2 (NLT)

To meditate in God's word, is to discourse with ourselves concerning the great things contained in it, with close application of mind and fixedness of thought. We must have constant regard to the word of God, as the rule of our actions, and the spring of our comforts; and have it in our thoughts night and day. For this purpose no time is amiss. Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

I’m reading the book, “Holy Sweat” by Tim Hansel. Chapter 2  “Turning Our Theology into Biography” Tim Hansel ends the chapter with this: 
A dear friend wrote the following words to remind us that God wants and needs to continually “write on our lives” and express himself uniquely through each one of us. I trust they will ignite you as they did me, to live and write and do whatever you do in the pulse beat of your own experience. 

It’s been so long since I’ve seen a burning bush.
Some seasons I see them in every desert wash
The magnificence, the miracle.....”burning and not being consumed.”
Yet, who do I fool? 
Moses paid dearly for his burning bush—sweaty desert miles, and exhausted, sweaty tears—
All for the dubious blessing of talking with God. 
What claim have I to a burning bush? (or to God?)
I have not yet even learned to remove my shoes! 
I’ve learned so much of me. 
Every inch of it has hurt......to see honestly and at length......
because at first all I could see were the wounds of humanity.
I looked for cool unflawed marble of deity but found only a heart of flesh.
But hearts of flesh are all that God can write on. 
Write on me, Father, write on me. 
Barbara Francken Kelley (from “Holy Sweat” by Tim Hansel)

To create a positive day, I need to not only meditate on God’s Word, to change the pulse beat of my experience to be that of God’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment