Thursday, August 22, 2013

My Praise Songs Echo


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 30. Here is what I learned.

What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit (the grave)? Will the dust praise You? Will it declare Your truth and faithfulness to men? Psalm 30:9 (AMP)

I said, “What ·good will it do if I die [profit is there for you in my blood]  or if I go down to ·the grave [corruption; destruction]? Dust cannot [Will the dust…?] ·praise [thank] you; ·it cannot [will it…?] speak about your ·truth [faithfulness]. Psalm 30:9 (EXB)

“I’m no good to You dead! What benefits come from my rotting corpse? My body in the grave will not praise You. No songs will rise up from the dust of my bones. From dust comes no proclamation of Your faithfulness. Psalm 30:9 (VOICE)

“Can you sell me for a profit when I’m dead? auction me off at a cemetery yard sale? When I’m ‘dust to dust’ my songs and stories of you won’t sell. Psalm 30:9 (MSG)

David is pleading his case, that if he dies, he will no longer be around to give praise to God for His faithfulness. 

As I read Psalm 30:9, the first thing that came to my mind, is ”would there be a difference if I die?” Meaning, am I praising God NOW? Am I singing songs of praise to God, so that someone would notice if they stopped? 

Often when we are in a bad situation, we cry out to God and then once the situation turns a good one, we briefly praise God. Then we ignore God until we find ourselves in trouble once again. 
Praising God is to be done continually. It’s not based on what He’d done, but WHO He is. Our circumstance does not alter the fact that God is to be praised. 

Back to Psalm 30:9, if I’m silent now, when I die there will only be continued silence—nothing different. Yet, if I’m busy praising God each and every day, when I die my songs will be silenced, but I think that the sound of my praise songs will linger for a bit. 

To create a positive day, I need to let the sound of my praise songs echo of God’s goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment