Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Security


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 28. Here is what I learned.

Save Your people and bless Your heritage; nourish and shepherd them and carry them forever. Psalm 28:9 (AMP)

Save your people, Lord, and bless those who are yours. Be their shepherd, and take care of them forever. Psalm 28:9 (GNT)

The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack. Psalm 23:1 (AMP)

The Lord is my shepherd; I ·have everything I need [will lack nothing]. Psalm 23:1 (EXB)

"The Lord is my shepherd." What condescension is this, that the Infinite Lord assumes towards his people the office and character of a Shepherd! It should be the subject of grateful admiration that the great God allows himself to be compared to anything which will set forth his great love and care for his own people. David had himself been a keeper of sheep, and understood both the needs of the sheep and the many cares of a shepherd. He compares himself to a creature weak, defenceless, and foolish, and he takes God to be his Provider, Preserver, Director, and, indeed, his everything. No man has a right to consider himself the Lord's sheep unless his nature has been renewed, for the scriptural description of unconverted men does not picture them as sheep, but as wolves or goats. A sheep is an object of property, not a wild animal; its owner sets great store by it, and frequently it is bought with a great price. It is well to know, as certainly as David did, that we belong to the Lord. There is a noble tone of confidence about this sentence. There is no "if" nor "but," nor even "I hope so;" but he says, "The Lord is my shepherd." We must cultivate the spirit of assured dependence upon our heavenly Father. The sweetest word of the whole is that monosyllable, "My." He does not say, "The Lord is the shepherd of the world at large, and leadeth forth the multitude as his flock," but "The Lord is my shepherd;" if he be a Shepherd to no one else, he is a Shepherd to me; he cares for me, watches over me, and preserves me. The words are in the present tense. Whatever be the believer's position, he is even now under the pastoral care of Jehovah. The Treasury of David

The Lord is MY Shepherd. I can rest in the security that God will supply my needs and protect me. The security that God is MY Shepherd, creates a positive and peaceful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment