Saturday, January 5, 2013

Indescribable


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 29. Here is what I learned. 


Give to the Lord, O sons of the powerful. Give to the Lord shining-greatness and strength.  Give to the Lord the honor that belongs to Him. Worship the Lord in the beauty of holy living. Psalm 29:1, 2 (NLV)

Yesterday, I studied Psalm 19, and that the Heavens are a testimony to the ultimate greatness of God. Psalm 29, focuses the attention to God Himself and the honor, glory, and praise due Him, because of His ultimate greatness. 

How do you describe an INDESCRIBABLE God? In Psalm 29, David uses a thunderstorm. A thunderstorm is powerful and mighty.

The thunder is not only poetically but instructively called "the voice of God," since it peals from on high; it surpasses all other sounds, it inspires awe, it is entirely independent of man. The Treasury of David
The psalmist here sets forth God's dominion in the kingdom of nature. In the thunder, and lightning, and storm, we may see and hear his glory. Let our hearts be thereby filled with great, and high, and honourable thoughts of God, in the holy adoring of whom, the power of godliness so much consists. O Lord our God, thou art very great! Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

As powerful as man thinks he is, he is no match for the power and majesty of the Almighty God. We need to humble ourselves before the Creator of all. He and He alone is worthy of our praise. He and He alone is our Redeemer. How would I describe an INDESCRIBABLE God? That’s something I’ll have to work on this year. 

But even if I can’t describe Him, I know that He loves me and that fact, creates a positive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment