Friday, September 6, 2013

Status of My Relationship


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 29. Here is what I learned.


The Lord’s voice ·makes the lightning flash [strikes with flashes of lightning]. Psalm 29:7 (EXB)

The psalmist here sets forth God's dominion in the kingdom of nature. In the thunder, and lightning, and storm, we may see and hear his glory. Let our hearts be thereby filled with great, and high, and honourable thoughts of God, in the holy adoring of whom, the power of godliness so much consists. O Lord our God, thou art very great! The power of the lightning equals the terror of the thunder. The fear caused by these effects of the Divine power, should remind us of the mighty power of God, of man's weakness, and of the defenceless and desperate condition of the wicked in the day of judgment.  Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

Respect. Honor. Fear. Awe. Terror. The power of God can evoke many emotions. 

If my soul is right with God, then the power of God produces honor, respect, awe, and yes, even comfort. Knowing that God is all-powerful, that means nothing is out of His control. 

If, however, I have sin in my heart, the power of God produces fear and terror. A Holy, all-powerful God, becomes Judge. Sin is an abomination to God. I’m very grateful that God provided a way of forgiveness and I have restored fellowship with God. 

The power of God is real. The status of my relationship with God determines if His display of power creates awe, respect and honor, or fear and terror. 

To create a positive day, I need to make sure the status of my relationship with God is good standing, according to His standard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment