Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Silence is Shouting

This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 19. Here is what I learned.



They have no speech or words; they have no voice to be heard. Psalm 19:3 (EXB)

There is no speech nor spoken word [from the stars]; their voice is not heard. Psalm 19:3 (AMP)

Inaudible words are their manner of speech, and silence, their means to convey. Psalm 19:3 (VOICE)

`They have no speech, nor words, nor is their voice heard; yet into all the earth hath gone out their sound, and to the extremity of the world their words.' The Hebrew, kav, rendered, line, like the Greek by which the LXX (who are followed by Paul), render it, no doubt signifies the sound as well as the cord which emits it. The Vulgate, Jerome, and Symmachus, render it to the same purpose. Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

There is no speech, etc. The sunset was one of the most glorious I ever beheld, and the whole earth seemed so still that the voice of neither God nor man was heard. There was not a ripple upon the waters, not the leaf of a tree, nor even of a blade of grass moving, and the rocks upon the opposite shore reflected the sun's "after glow," and were again themselves reflected from or in the river during the brief twilight, in a way I do not remember ever to have beheld before. No! I will not say the voice of God was not heard; it spoke in the very stillness as loud as in roaring thunder, in the placid scene as in rocks and cliffs impassable, and louder still in the heavens and in the firmament, and in the magnificent prospect around me. His wondrous works declared him to be near, and I felt as if the very ground upon which I was treading was holy. John Gadsby

Without uttering a sound, the stars speak volumes about God. His power. His majesty. His greatness. His eternality. Silent, but still glorifying and honoring God. 
One thing I’ve learned, especially living in an apartment building, is that people enjoy “people watching”. As people watch me, what do they hear? Even without uttering a word, my actions and attitude convey a message. What is my silence shouting? 

To create a positive day, I need to make sure that my silence is shouting praise and honor to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment