Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Translate into Action


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 15. Here is what I learned.

The one who does not collect interest on a loan  or take a bribe against an innocent person. Whoever does these things will never be shaken. Psalm 15:5 (GW)

If they loan money to someone, they do not charge them interest. And they refuse to testify against an innocent person, even if someone offers them money to do it. Whoever lives like this will always stand strong. Psalm 15:5 (ERV)

He that putteth not out his money to interest, Nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved. Psalm 15:5 (ASV)

"He that doeth." 'Tis not said he that professes this or that, or he that believes thus and thus, or he that is of such or such an opinion or wail of worship, or he that sets up new lights, and pretends the Spirit for his immediate guide; 'tis not he that hears much or talks much of religion; no, nor he that preaches and prays much, nor he that thinks much of these things, and means well; but 'tis he that "doeth these things" - that is actually employed about them - that is the religious and truly godly man. Condensed from Adam Littleton, D.D., 1627-1694 

Do: carry out, accomplish, achieve, act, arrange, be responsible for, bring about, cause, close, complete, conclude, create, determine, discharge, do one's thing, effect, end, engage in, execute, finish, fix, fulfill, get with it, go for it, look after, make, make ready, move, operate, perform, produce, pull off, see to, succeed, take care of business, take on, transact, undertake, wind up, work, wrap up.

Accomplish. Execute. Produce. Achieve. Act. Do. It’s one thing to know something, and it’s another things to act on that knowledge. 

I’m reminded of physical therapy. When I was going through physical therapy, my therapist would give me exercises to do at home. When I arrived at my next appointment, he would ask if I had done the exercises. Since I did do them, I would answer, “yes”. I remember asking him one time, if he knew if people  lied about doing them. He replied, “yes, because they don’t get stronger, or gain range of motion.”  Doing the exercises produced a positive result. There was evidence of the “doing.”

The same is true for knowing God’s Word and acting upon it. There is evidence in my life that an be seen by those around me, if I “do” what God’s Word says I’m to do. Knowing about God, and knowing what His Word says is good. However, there must be more to that knowledge—it must be acted upon. 

To create a positive day, my knowledge has to translate into action, producing godly actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment