Monday, June 17, 2013

Consult Wise Counsel


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 13. Here is what I learned.

How long must I make decisions alone with sorrow in my heart day after day? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Psalm 13:2 (GW)

How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart all the day? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? Psalm 13:2 (NASB)

How long - This refers to the third aspect of the case, or the third phase of the trouble, that is, that he was perplexed and embarrassed, having a deep and heavy sorrow in his heart, and he asks how long this was to continue. "Shall I take counsel in my soul." This refers to the methods which he endeavored to devise to escape from trouble. He was perplexed, persecuted, and apparently forsaken; and being thus apparently forsaken, he was constrained to attempt to devise some plan for his own deliverance, without interposition or help from on high. He was under a necessity of relying on himself; and he asks "how long" this was to continue, or when he might hope that God would interpose to aid him by his counsels, and thus to deliver him. Barnes' Notes on the Bible

Make decisions alone. That can lead to wrong choices, wrong thoughts, and making wrong decisions. Thankfully, I don’t HAVE TO make choices alone. First and foremost, God provides wisdom and council throughout His Word. Secondly, if I listen, the Holy Spirit gives guidance. And lastly, God has provided some amazing godly friends whom I can ask for help. 

Most often the times I choose to make decisions alone, is when I have already decided the outcome I want. It’s easy to justify a decision when I want to control what I do. Yet, when I have to live with the consequences of that decision... I only have myself to blame. 

Make decisions alone... is a choice that can lead to disastrous results. To create a positive day, I need to consult wise counsel before making decisions starting first with God, then consulting the friends God has provided to help keep me on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment