Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Quicksand of Trouble


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 138. Here is what I learned.

Lord, ·even when I have trouble all around me [if I walk in the midst of distress], you will keep me alive. When my enemies are angry, you will ·reach down [send out your hand] and save me by your ·power [right hand]. Psalm 138:7 (EXB)

When I am surrounded by troubles, you keep me safe. You oppose my angry enemies and save me by your power. Psalm 138:7 (GNT)

Even though I walk into the middle of trouble, you guard my life against the anger of my enemies. You stretch out your hand, and your right hand saves me. Psalm 138:7 (GW)

Midst: the center, surrounded. 
Trouble: adversary, adversity, affliction, anguish, distress, tribulation, trouble.

Synonyms for Trouble: agitation, anxiety, bad news, bind, bother, commotion, concern, danger, difficulty, dilemma, dire straits, discontent, discord, disorder, disquiet, dissatisfaction, distress, disturbance, grief, hang-up, heartache, hindrance, hot water, inconvenience, irritation, mess, misfortune, nuisance, pain, pest, pickle, predicament, problem, puzzle, row, scrape, sorrow, spot, strain, stress, strife, struggle, suffering, task, torment, tribulation, tumult, unrest, vexation, woe.

No matter the word, when we find ourselves in trouble, often it’s hard to find the way out. Joy and happiness quickly become despair and discouragement. Being surrounded by trouble, there is choice. Look at the troubles surrounding you and sink deeper into despair and discouragement (which by the way will only cause you to sink deeper... like quicksand). OR look up and see God at work, knowing that He is present and that God can lift you out of the trouble and restore joy and happiness. 

Oh, God may leave you in the midst of the trouble for a time, to teach you, to teach others, or simply to bring glory to Himself... but even when surrounded by trouble, you don’t have to be discouraged, knowing that God will keep you safe. 

When  surrounded by troubles don’t fret and continue to struggle, for like quicksand the more you struggle, the deeper you’ll sink. Rather, stand tall and look up.... God is present and will restore the joy and happiness—even while still in trouble. It’s about recognizing that God is always present and that He is the one  who will save you. 

If I find myself surrounded by quicksand of trouble, to create a positive day, I need to stop trying to get out on my own, stand tall, look up and relax, knowing that God is present and will save me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment