Thursday, June 13, 2013

Now and on the Day I Die


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 146. Here is what I learned.

·When people die [Their spirit goes out], they ·are buried [return to the ground]. ·Then all of [On that day] their plans ·come to an end [perish]. Psalm 146:4 (EXB)

When they breathe their last breath, they return to the ground. On that day their plans come to an end. Psalm 146:4 (GW)

As soon as their breath leaves them, they return to the earth; on that day, all of them perish—their dreams, their plans, and their memories. Psalm 146:4 (VOICE)

Last night a NASCAR driver was killed in a Sprint Car dirt track race. Only 37 years old. Sad. But it’s a reminder that death can happen at anytime. It’s often unexpected and not in our plans. 

At the time of death our plans, dreams, etc, won’t matter. What does matter is our relationship with God. He doesn’t look at “how good we’ve been”, or “all the good things we’ve done”, because no matter how “good” we think we are, compared to a Holy God we are just sinners. 

But thankfully, God provided a way for us to have our sins forgiven. 
For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten ([a]unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. John 3:16 (AMP)

I know that when I die, I will enter Heaven, because I’ve placed my faith in God and accepted His gift of salvation. That’s an assurance that is comforting. 

As I live my life, I need to keep in mind, my plans and activities will come to an end. I need to sure that I’m involved in “eternal work”, work that will last, things that matter to God. “Stop storing up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal.  Instead, store up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust don’t destroy and thieves don’t break in and steal.  Your heart will be where your treasure is. Matthew 6:19-21 (GW)

My life is coming to an end, and it is now time for me to be poured out as a sacrifice to God. I have fought the good fight. I have completed the race. I have kept the faith. The prize that shows I have God’s approval is now waiting for me. The Lord, who is a fair judge, will give me that prize on that day. He will give it not only to me but also to everyone who is eagerly waiting for him to come again. 2 Timothy 4:6-8 (GW)

Knowing that I’m saved for all eternity, and doing God’s work, will create a positive day.. now and on the day I die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment