Monday, January 7, 2013

The “12th Man”


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 47. Here is what I learned. 

I enjoy watching football. And the past few weeks, there have been many college bowl games and now the NFL playoffs have started. One phrase often heard during a game is “The 12th Man”. 

There are only 11 players on the field, so who is this “12th Man”? It’s the FANS! When the fans are yelling and screaming and making LOTS of noise, it makes it harder for the “other team” to hear calls and it energizes the fans’ team. The responsibility of “12th Man” is to raise a shout, give a blast! 

That is exactly what Psalm 47 is all about! We are to raise a shout, give a blast—shout at the top of our lungs about our AWESOME and GREAT God!  

God is worthy of profound reverence or adoration. 

For the LORD Most High is awesome.
He is the great King of all the earth.
Psalm 47:2  (NLV)

As God’s “12th Man”, am I shouting about His greatness at the top of my lungs? Am I sharing the awesomeness of God with others? I guess the real question is, Am I ashamed of my God? Or am I going to let others know about Him and His ultimate greatness? 

If I want to create a positive day, then I need to make sure I’m being the “12th Man” for God. For sharing about Him and His awesomeness, makes me reflect and think about Him. The more I’m thinking about God, the more positive the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment