Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Certainty in Uncertain World


Throughout this year, each day of the month, I'm "Treasure Hunting" in a Psalm. I've created a "Ponder Every Morsel of Truth" Book to record the truths as I learn them. The Eighth of each Month, I'm studying Psalm 90. Here's what Treasure I found today. 

Psalm 90, written by Moses, and is similar to the Song of Moses in Exodus 15:1-21. Most commentators believe that Psalm 90 was written when the Israelites were released from Egypt. 

I found much comfort in Psalm 90:1. Taking a deeper look into this verse, this is what I learned.

Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations.
Psalm 90:1 (NIV)

Lord: Adonay, spoken as a display of reverence
You: You and You alone
Have been/throughout all generations: displays the eternality of God. He was, He is, He always will be. Also shows that God never left His people. He was always present. 
Our dwelling place: the abode of His people. The dwelling place, habitation. A refuge. 

Think of the contrast of wandering the wilderness after leaving Egypt, to having a safe, secure place to rest. That’s what Moses is praying in Psalm 90. Just as Moses knew that God was the one constant unchanging factor in His life, I too can have that same relationship.  No matter what is happening in the World, my neighborhood, or my life, I have a God who is my dwelling place. A safe haven. A resting place. A place of security. 

Where am I dwelling? Am trying to create a safe dwelling place via the money I have in the bank? Am I trying to create a security to a good future, by making sure I have all the latest gadgets? If that is where I’m dwelling, than I am building a false security—a dwelling place built out of straws, so to speak—feeble and frail. 

God, You and You alone, are where I find ultimate rest and security. You’ve been around since BEFORE the Earth I live on was created-by You. You will be around LONG after the Earth disappears. Only in You can I have true security and true rest and safety. 

If I want to create a positive day, I cannot focus on the uncertainties of life. I need to remember that God is in control. He loves me. If I find myself fearful of what MAY happen, then I need to change my focus. To create a positive day as I live in this World, I need to remember that God is my refuge, my shelter, my sanctuary. He is a constant that never changes. God is my certainty in an uncertain world, and that is why I can create a positive day.


No comments:

Post a Comment