Wednesday, September 18, 2013

“Fun-Good”


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 13. Here is what I learned.


I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me. Psalm 13:6 (NIV) 

I sing to the Lord because he has ·taken care of [been good to] me. Psalm 13:6 (EXB)

Been Good: A primitive root; to treat a person (well), i.e. Benefit; by implication (of toil), to ripen, i.e. (specifically) to wean -- bestow on, deal bountifully, do (good), recompense, requite, reward, ripen, + serve, mean, yield. 

I find that sometimes, my definition of “good” might not be the same as God’s definition. When I think of “good”, I think if joy, happy, exciting, ease, excellent, super... etc. I like it when all things go as I plan and are filled with fun! 

However, God in His wisdom, knows that sometimes “good” requires some hard, unpleasant things at least from my perspective. 

If life were always “good” by my definition, I’d always be having fun! I wouldn’t want to work to grow and learn. Remember your elementary days? Recess was the highlight of the day! Running around, swinging, playing kickball, etc. Who wanted to go back inside and study History, or English, or Math? Yet, those times of study were “good” in that it was needed to grow in knowledge and wisdom. 

To create a positive day, I need to make sure that I’m seeing defining “good” as God does, and not just expecting “fun-good” all the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment