Sunday, September 8, 2013

False Reality-I’m in Control

This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 47. Here is what I learned.

The princes and nobles of the peoples are gathered together, a [united] people for the God of Abraham, for the shields of the earth belong to God; He is highly exalted. Psalm 47:9 (AMP)

The ·leaders [princes] of the ·nations [or armies] ·meet [gather together] with the ·people [or army] of the God of Abraham, because the ·leaders [shields; military leaders] of the earth belong to God. He is ·supreme [highly exalted]. Psalm 47:9 (EXB)

The shields of the earth are God's, is understood by many as spoken of princes. I admit that this metaphor is of frequent occurrence in Scripture, nor does this sense seem to be unsuitable to the scope of the passage...Yet the sense will be more simple if we explain the words thus: That, as it is God alone who defends and preserves the world, the high and supreme majesty which is sufficient for so exalted and difficult a work as the preservation of the world, is justly looked upon with admiration. The sacred writer expressly uses the word shields in the plural number, for, considering the various and almost innumerable dangers which unceasingly threaten every part of the world, the providence of God must necessarily interpose in many ways, and make use, as it were, of many bucklers. John Calvin

“That, as it is God alone who defends and preserves the world....” Oh, and so often I think I control it! I’m sure you’ve felt that way to.... “I’m in control of my world, my life....”. A good reminder that I’m NOT in control, is taking a look at the weather. I can’t make it rain, or stop it from raining. I can’t make it snow in Chicago in mid-June. Nor can I make it 80° in mid-February. As much as I like to say that I’m in control..... I am not. And in reality that is a comforting thought. 

I’m not in control. Rather God, who was, is and is forever, is in control. The only One who knows the future. God is in control... period. Not man, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves that we are. 

To create a positive day, I need to give up my false reality that I’m in control, and acknowledge that God is not only in control, but very capable of being in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment