Monday, September 9, 2013

Unspent Joy


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 90. Here is what I learned.


Make us glad in proportion to the days in which You have afflicted us and to the years in which we have suffered evil. Psalm 90:15 (AMP)

We have seen years of ·trouble [harm; hurt]. Now give us as ·much [many days of] joy as you gave us ·sorrow [affliction]. Psalm 90:15 (EXB)

You have spent many days afflicting us with pain and sorrow; now match those with years of unspent joy. Psalm 90:15 (VOICE)

As have been our sorrows, so let our joys be great and long. Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary

Make us glad according to the days wherein thou hast afflicted us - Let the one correspond with the other. Let our occasions of joy be measured by the sorrows which have come upon us. As our sufferings have been great, so let our joys and triumphs be. And the years wherein we have seen evil - Affliction and sorrow. They have been continued through many wearisome years; so let the years of peace and joy be many also. Barnes' Notes

“How can you smile, when you are in pain?” That’s a phrase I like to hear. For it lets me know that I’m allowing God’s goodness to shine through. 

It’s much easier to focus on the pain and trouble, especially when you are in the very midst of it, rather than seeing God’s goodness. Yes, even in what we would call “trouble” God is at work. 

And I know that no matter how many years I live in pain (and trouble) on Earth, God has an amazing Eternity waiting for me... pain free and rejoicing and praising God! 

To create a positive day, I need to look beyond the pain and troubles of now, and rest secure that “unspent joy” will be mine for eternity! 

No comments:

Post a Comment