Saturday, August 3, 2013

Tune My Ears


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 4. Here is what I learned.

O you sons of men, how long will you turn my honor and glory into shame? How long will you love vanity and futility and seek after lies? Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Psalm 4:2 (AMP)

How long will you people insult me? How long will you love what is worthless and go after what is false? Psalm 4:2 (GNT)

How long will you sons of Adam steal my dignity, reduce my glory to shame? Why pine for the fruitless and dream a delusion? [pause] Psalm 4:2 (VOICE)

"Love Vanity." Men's affections are according to their principles; and every one loves that most without him which is most suitable to somewhat within him: liking is founded in likeness, and has therefore that word put upon it. It is so in whatsoever we can imagine; whether in temporals or spirituals, as to the things of this life, or of a better. Men's love is according to some working and impression upon their own spirits. And so it is here in the point of vanity; those which are vain persons, they delight in vain things; as children, they love such matters as are most agreeable to their childish dispositions, and as do suit them in that particular. Out of the heart comes all kind of evil. Thomas Horton, 1675 

“I like the sound of that!” So often, the “sound” is pleasing, and we don’t care if the message is true or not. The sad part in that, is that the sound soon fades and we are left with emptiness —the bubble has burst, so to speak. 

I need to remember that when I hear something, I need to compare it to God’s truth, to see how it measures up. God’s truth is absolute, it cannot change. If I want to make sure I’m not living or striving after a delusion, I need to make sure that I ignore the “good sounds” and listen to the “truthful sounds”!

To create a positive day, I need to tune my ears to hearing God’s truth, and not empty promises or delusions that simply sound good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment