Sunday, July 7, 2013

Spontaneous Clapping!


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 47. Here is what I learned.

Applause, everyone. Bravo, bravissimo! Shout God-songs at the top of your lungs! Psalm 47:1 (MSG)

Clap your hands, all you people. Shout to God with ·joy [jubilant shouts/cries/sound]. Psalm 47:1 (EXB)

Show your happiness, all peoples! Call out to God with the voice of joy! Psalm 47:1 (NLV)

"O clap your hands." The most natural and most enthusiastic tokens of exultation are to be used in view of the victories of the Lord, and his universal reign. Our joy in God may be demonstrative, and yet he will not censure it. The Treasury of David 
Wherefore they are called upon to declare their joy and gladness by "clapping their hands"; which is a gesture expressive of exultation and joy. Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible 
"O clap your hands, in token of your own joy and satisfaction in what God has done for you, of your approbation, nay, your admiration, of what God has done in general, and of your indignation against all the enemies of God's glory, Job 27:23. Clap your hands, as men transported with pleasure, that cannot contain themselves; shout unto God, not to make him hear (his ear is not heavy), but to make all about you hear, and take notice how much you are affected and filled with the works of God. Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

Clap your hands. A simple gesture that acknowledges a job well done, that you liked something, you appreciated something. Clap your hands. It’s not a forced response rather it’s automatic. Clap your hands. It’s a response from the heart, emotions, an overwhelming sense of joy, happiness. 

When was the last time I clapped my hands for God? When was the last time I clapped my hands to acknowledge what God has done and is doing in my life? When was the last time I was so overcome with joy simply knowing God that I clapped my hands in response?

To create a positive day, I need to allow the joy of simply knowing God to overwhelm me to the point that I break out in spontaneous clapping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment