Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Awe and Respect


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 33. Here is what I learned.

Let all the earth fear the Lord. Let all who live in the world stand in awe of him. Psalm 33:8 (GW)

All the earth should ·worship [fear; hold in awe] the Lord; ·the whole [all the inhabitants of the] world should ·fear him [hold him in awe]. Psalm 33:8 (EXB)

"Let all the earth fear the Lord." Not only Jews, but Gentiles. The Psalmist was not a man blinded by national prejudice, he did not desire to restrict the worship of Jehovah to the seed of Abraham. He looks for homage even to far-off nations. If they are not well enough instructed to be able to praise at least let them fear. There is an inferior kind of worship in the trembling which involuntarily admits the boundless power of the thundering God. A defiant blasphemer is out of place in a world covered with tokens of the divine power and Godhead; the whole earth cannot afford a spot congenial for the erection of a synagogue of Atheism, nor a man in whom it is becoming to profane the name of God. "Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him." Let them forsake their idols, and reverently regard the only living God. What is here placed as a wish may also be read as a prophecy: the adoration of God will yet be universal. The Treasury of David

Fear: stand in awe of.
Awe: admiration, apprehension, astonishment, consternation, dread, esteem, fear, fright, horror, regard, respect, reverence, shock, stupefaction, terror, veneration, wonder, wonderment, worship.

I was driving to my Chiropractor appointment, and heard a police siren. I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw that the Police car was a few car lengths behind me. As my heart beat increased, I automatically took my foot off the gas and looked at the speedometer. No, I wasn’t speeding... I pulled over to the far right, and watched as the police officer drove on past. I took a deep breath and continued on my way. 

Why was my reaction one of fear, when I heard the siren? I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Yet, the respect I have for the Police, filled me with fear... and dread because of what I might have done wrong, I was fearful of the consequences. 

As I thought about Psalm 33:8, I’m the fear the Lord, not necessarily because of the consequences of disobedience, but rather because of WHO He is. The fact the God is God Almighty, should instill a sense of awe and respect. And that awe and respect should motivate me into obey and honoring God in all I do and say. 

To create a positive day, I need to fear God and that awe and respect should motivate me into obey and honoring God in all I do and say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment