Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shut Up!


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 62. Here is what I learned.

My soul, wait only upon God and silently submit to Him; for my hope and expectation are from Him. Psalm 62:5 (AMP)

God, the one and only— I’ll wait as long as he says. Everything I hope for comes from him, so why not? Psalm 62:5 (MSG)

I ·find rest [wait quietly] in God; ·only he gives me hope [for my hope is in him]. Psalm 62:5 (EXB)

Wait: be still (opposed to both speech and motion); be silent, hold peace, quiet self, rest, keep (put to) silence.

Wait, to put it in one term, “Shut Up!” 

Be still silent, O my soul! submit thyself completely, trust immovably, wait patiently. Let none of thy enemies' imaginings, consultings, flatteries, or maledictions cause thee to break the King's peace. Unmingled faith is undismayed. The Treasury of David

One definition of “wait” is to be available or in readiness. If I’m in a constant state of motion and noise (talking), than I am not available or in readiness. For, if I’m talking, I can’t hear the instructions from God! 

I’ve never really enjoyed silence. I like to have the radio on, or CDs playing, or the TV on... just for noise. Yet, in the silence I hear subtle sounds which I miss amidst the noise. If I really want to know what God wants me to do.... I need to “shut up” and listen! 

I’ve noticed that often when I’m nervous, I tend to talk, often faster and louder. Yet, God wants to give me peace, and that comes as I WAIT... yes, “shut up” just be still. 

Only when I “Shut Up”, will I be able to find peace and know what God wants me to do next. Trust in God, and what He is doing and stop making noises that are just jibber-jabber. 

To create a positive day, I need to “shut up” and listen to God, for then and only then will I enjoy the peace that calms my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment