Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Eleemosynary


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 57. Here is what I learned.

He sends help from heaven and ·saves me [gives me victory]. He ·punishes [reproaches; scorns] those who ·chase [trample on; hound; snap at] me. ·Selah [Interlude] God sends me his ·love [loyalty] and ·truth [faithfulness]. Psalm 57:3 (EXB)

He will send from heaven and save me from the slanders and reproaches of him who would trample me down or swallow me up, and He will put him to shame. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! God will send forth His mercy and loving-kindness and His truth and faithfulness. Psalm 57:3 (AMP)

Kind:  generous, good; Synonyms: affectionate, all heart, beneficent, benevolent, big, bounteous, charitable, compassionate, considerate, cordial, courteous, eleemosynary, friendly, gentle, good-hearted, gracious, heart in right place, kindhearted, kindly, lenient, loving, mild, neighborly, obliging, philanthropic, propitious, soft touch, softhearted, sympathetic, tenderhearted, thoughtful, tolerant, understanding.

Eleemosynary. This is a new word for me. 
Eleemosynary [el-uh-mos-uh-ner-ee, -moz-, el-ee-uh-] adjective
1. of or pertaining to alms, charity, or charitable donations; charitable.
2. derived from or provided by charity.
3. dependent on or supported by charity.

Eleemosynary. Dependent on or supported by charity.... I think that’s a good way to describe my relationship with God.  I am dependent upon God for His love and mercy. There is nothing I can do to deserve it. There is no way to buy it. God in is grace, simply gives it to me. 

Eleemosynary. Dependent..... I am dependent upon God’s loving-kindness, His mercy. God freely gives His loving-kindness, mercy, grace to me, do I accept it? And being dependent upon God should have an impact in my life. Do I “make it my own” thus, allowing it to change my attitude, actions, and speech?

The Lord has told you, ·human [O man], what is good; he has told you what ·he wants [the Lord requires] from you: to do what is ·right to other people [just], love ·being kind to others [mercy; lovingkindness], and ·live humbly, obeying [walk humbly with] your God. Micah 6:8 (EXB)

Eleemosynary should translate into doing what God wants me to do—obeying, walking humbly with God.

To create a positive day, I need to remember “eleemosynary”—dependent upon the charity of God’s loving-kindness and mercy, and act accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment