Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Know Best! Really?


Throughout this year, each day of the month, I'm "Treasure Hunting" in a Psalm. I've created a "Ponder Every Morsel of Truth" Book to record the truths as I learn them. The seventh of each month, I'm studying Psalm 47. Here's what Treasure I found today.

He chooseth our inheritance for us, The glory of Jacob whom he loved. Selah Psalm 47:4 (ASV)

He shall choose our inheritance for us,.... Either a portion in this life; God knows what is best for his people, and therefore they should leave it with him, who can make a better choice for them than for themselves: an Heathen (c) once gave this advice, "give thyself wholly to the will and disposal of the celestial ones; for they who are used to give good things easily can also choose the fittest.'' Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

I know best! And certainly, I know better than God—really??? Well, no. But so often, sadly, that’s my attitude. I think I know what’s best for me. However, I am usually wrong. There are circumstances that are not in my control. There are people involved who are not in my control. There are so many factors in life, that I know nothing about, nor can I control them! So it’s best that I allow God to choose what is best for me. 

But what if He chooses something I don’t like! You mean, like pain? YES! I don’t like pain, I don’t like it one bit! However, knowing that God chose this journey for me, I may not “like it”, I may not “understand it”, I can take comfort in knowing it was “God designed”. 

God designed. God has a plan, a pattern, which He is using to create something unique and that will best be able to show forth His glory.  The God who created the magnificent heavens, the beautiful sunrises, who covers the earth with snow to make amazing ‘winter wonderlands’, is very capable of creating a life for me. When I stop to think of all the absolutely amazing breath-taking things God has created..... I think I can trust Him to choose an inheritance—a God designed life for me. 

Although at times I may not fully understand what God is doing, I can rest assured that He has chosen a specific God-designed plan for me. And when I’m willing to give up my “I know best” attitude and accept God’s choice, that makes for a very positive God-designed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment