Monday, March 4, 2013

Do I really value God’s Word?


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 19. Here is what I learned.

The Word of the Lord is worth more than gold, even more than much fine gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey straight from the comb. Psalm 19:10 (NLV)

They are ·worth [desired; coveted] more than gold, even ·the purest [fine] gold. They are sweeter than honey, even the ·finest honey [droppings of the honeycomb]. Psalm 19:10 (EXB)

Desired: greatly beloved, covet, delectable thing, great delight, desire, lust, precious (thing).
Gold: gold as wealth.
Fine Gold: refined, pure gold.
Much: in abundance, enough, exceedingly, full, greatly.
Sweeter: sweet, sweetness.
Honey: honey, made by bees.
Dripping: flowing honey, honey from the comb, the purest honey. 
Honeycomb: the bees natural storage for the honey.

God’s Word. Do I value it? Do I give it the respect it deserves? 

If I do value God’s Word, then there should be a desire.... an overwhelming desire... to hear what God has to say. Then that desire would translate what I read into action. 

Wealth: abundance, affluence, assets, belongings, bounty, capital, cash, commodities, cornucopia, dough, estate, fortune, funds, gold, goods, holdings, lap of luxury, long green, lucre, luxuriance, luxury, plenitude, plenty, possessions, profusion, property, prosperity, prosperousness, revenue, riches, richness, security, stocks and bonds, substantiality, treasure, worth.

Gold, the purest gold. Far better than the purest gold. Highly valued. 

How do I know if I really value God’s Word?

First, do I take time to read it? Am I satisfied with 10 minutes of reading a few verses? How much time do I spend doing other things that have no real value... like watching TV? How often do I rearrange my schedule so that I can watch a certain TV show? And then consider the morals that show taught. So many of the TV shows on today, are filled with examples of sin—yet, I sit and watch them for hours.  I’d say , if I have time to watch (and fill my mind with ‘trash’) than I have time to study God’s Word. So, the question remains.. “Do I really value God’s Word?” 

Secondly, do I obey God’s Word? If I value something, I cherish it. Reading God’s Word is a great place to begin, but if I really value God’s Word, I’ll want to make it part of my life and allow it to change me into the person God wants me to be. 

And lastly, do I share God’s Word with others? Remember those TV shows that I rearrange my schedule to watch? I talk about those with others... and they have no eternal value. If really think that God’s Word is worth more than pure gold, shouldn't I want to share my “riches’ with others? 

The only true way to create a positive day is to make sure that I really value the richness of God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment