Sunday, February 3, 2013

Gift of Peace


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 4. Here is what I learned.

I fall asleep in peace the moment I lie down because you alone, O Lord, enable me to live securely. Psalm 4:8 (GW)

I go to bed [lie down] and sleep in peace, because, Lord, only you keep me safe [make me secure]. Psalm 4:8 (EXB)

Both: at all once, both, likewise, only, altogether.
To lie down: lodge, ravish, take rest.
Sleep: go to sleep, and be asleep.
Peace: make safe, friendly terms, well-being.
For: forasmuch, inasmuch, whereas, assuredly, but, certainly, doubtless.
O: yourself, you.
Lord: of deity Yahweh.
Alone: solitary, to be separate, isolated.
Dwell: make to abide, continue, ease self, endure, establish, remain.
Safety (securely): assurance, a place of refuge, without care, confidence, hope.

Due observation of Providence will both beget and secure inward tranquility in your minds amidst the vicissitudes and revolutions of things in this unstable vain world. "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep; for the Lord only maketh me dwell in safety." He resolves that sinful fears of events shall not rob him of his inward quiet, nor torture his thoughts with anxious presages: he will commit all his concerns into that faithful fatherly hand that had hitherto wrought all things for him; and he means not to lose the comfort of one night's rest, nor brings the evil of tomorrow upon the day; but knowing in whose hand he was, wisely enjoys the sweet felicity of a resigned will. Now this tranquility of our minds is as much begotten and preserved by a due consideration of providence as by anything whatsoever. - John Flayel, 1627-1691.

When I think if being at absolute peace, I can’t help but think of my parakeet, Max. He has the freedom to fly round the apartment, but he likes to sleep on me. He knows that when he’s near me, he’s safe and can relax and sleep soundly. 

Peace. No worries. No fretting. Calm. And the source of the peace is from God Himself, so that means there is a never-ending supply of peace. 

Oh! May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope! Romans 15:13 (MSG)

Worrying about “what ifs”, or what may happen robs us of peace. But trusting in the Almighty God provides a perfect peace. To create a positive day, I simply have to rest in Who God is and accept His gift of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment