Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Spinal Stim Programing Day!

Today, I'll get my spinal stim programed. Programming is an ongoing thing.
Many have asked how my spinal stimulator works. Our brains have "pain gates". Pain sensations travel slower than other sensations. For example, if you stub your toe, it hurts. But when you rub your toe, it feels better. Rubbing your toe didn't "heal" it, rather the rubbing messages travel faster than the pain messages. The rubbing messages fill up the "gates" allowing fewer pain messages to get through...so your brain thinks your toe is better.
The same concept works with my spinal stim. The stimulator sends signals along the nerves to the brain. those tingling signals fill up the gates allowing fewer pain messages to get through. My brain is tricked to thinking I'm in less pain. However, if I use the same signals too long.....the brain starts to ignore the tingling signals and giving more attention to the pain. Therefore, having several programs allows me to switch back and forth or use different signals for different activities.
That is a very basic explanation of how the spinal stimulator works.


God created our bodies to do amazing things! When I think of how my body works, I can't help but praise God. Even how God created the brain, so that I can "trick it" into being in less pain!
Now, you ask, why doesn't God just remove your pain? That's an easy one! God believes that I'll have more opportunities to share His love with others, if I'm in pain. I meet people, whom I've never would have contact with, if it weren't for my pain.
Now, don't get me wrong....I'd LOVE to be free from my pain. However, since God hasn't chosen that for me at this time, I need to do what I can to glorify God and continue to share His love. God has many reasons for what He does. And I don't always understand those reasons. But, since God loves me, He will continue to care for me and give me what I need to live with chronic pain.

Creating a positive day isn't always about me or what I'm enduring. Often it's about sharing God's love with others or encouraging someone else. God's love is unconditional. Many people today don't understand that concept. Sharing God's love is the best way to create a positive day! Each time I share God's love with someone else, I get a hug from God! Can't beat that for a positive day!

No comments:

Post a Comment