Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Study of Psalm 119. Psalm 119:11

This continues the study of Psalm 119.  (Start the series here: http://createapositiveday.blogspot.com/2017/09/study-of-psalm-119-psalm-1191.html)

God Provides (by Rhonda Sawtelle)

Psalm 119: God's Word....

vs. 11: Provides Influence
Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You. Psalm 119:11
Your word: commandment, speech
Have hidden: by implication, to hoard or reserve
My heart: the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything
That I: to the end intent that
Might Sin: miss the goal or path of right and duty; always against God
Not: most assuredly, no
Good men are afraid of sin, and are in care to prevent it; and the most effectual way to prevent is to hide God's word in our hearts, that we may answer every temptation, as our Master did, with, It is written, may oppose God's precepts to the dominion of sin, his promises to its allurements, and his threatenings to its menaces. (Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Bible; Psalm 119:11)
Influence: the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others. (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/influence?s=t)

Compelling force - on actions, behavior, opinions, etc. What is the compelling force in my life? What drives me to do things? What prevents me from doing things? 

My prayer is that God's Word would be the compelling force that would guide my actions, behavior, options, etc to be God honoring. 
Influence. God's word should have a huge influence on me, each and every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment