Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Proverbs 3:5b: Support Yourself

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;  Proverbs 3:5

Heart: the inner man, indefinite, soul, comprehending mind, affections and will
Lean: support oneself
Not: to express with emphasis its negation
Own understanding: faculties, one of the powers of the mind, as memory, reason, or speech.

Yesterday, we looked at the word Trust. Now that we know that God is trustworthy, let's look at the extent to which we are to trust and what other words of wisdom are found in these verses. 

Trust the Lord with all your heart. With all, entirety, your mind, affections, and will. It's one thing to say or think of trusting, it's another to set aside your will and trust in what God is doing! 

Don't try to support yourself on what you remember or think you know. "But I do know what's best!" Oh, really? I have to think back to this past Summer, when God was directing me as I was looking for a place to buy.


One home which we put an offer on, seemed "perfect" in my mind. It had wood floors, access to a pool, nice location, and the right price. Yes, it only had 2 bedrooms, BUT in my reasoning and understanding it was "perfect". 

God knew that He had something far better in mind. But at that moment, I could only see "this house and pool" and couldn't imaging anything better. Thankfully, God slammed that door shut keeping me from buying that home. For in his Wisdom, He was working on something far better. I had to learn to TRUST God and rely on God's Wisdom, not my own. 

Do not support myself on what I think I know or can reason. It may come as a great surprise, but I do not know it all! That seems unbelievable... right? Of course I do not know it all.... but sadly, too often I act like I do. 

Trust God. Do even try to support yourself. God in His Wisdom will teach and instruct and guide you...... but you need to Trust and rely on Him. Trusting Him begins with having a heart that is permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). For when one respects God, one can fully trust God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment