Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Relationship

This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 8. Here is what I learned.

The birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatever passes along the paths of the seas. Psalm 8: 8 (AMP)

I’m continually amazed at Max, my parakeet. To think a bird, who has the freedom to fly about the apartment, chooses to sit on my shoulder most of the time. He wants to be near me. 

There is a contrast to the birds that visit on my balcony. They fly away when I get anywhere near the sliding door. The birds outside will come to the balcony for food and water, but they don’t want to be near me. There is no relationship or trust with the wild birds. Rather, Max has learned that he can trust me, and that I care for him. 

My relationships with the wild birds vs Max are very different. The wild birds know that they will find food and water on my balcony, so they come when they are hungry or thirsty. There is no interaction. Max on the other hand, talks to me, likes to be near me. When he gets a down feather stuck in his mouth, he flies to me, knowing that I’ll help him. Max knows that even when I trim his nails, something he hates, that I’m caring for him. 

As I think about the relationships with the birds around me, I have to think also of my relationship with God. Do I see God as only a provider of “food and water”? Do I just go to Him to ask for something, but don’t take spend time with Him? Do I understand that even when God allows things in my life that I don’t like, He is help me and teaching me? 

Relationships are based on trust, and getting to know someone. If I only expect God to give me food and water, I miss out on so much. Yet, building the relationship with God is up to me. God wants me to know Him; He is waiting. 

To create a positive day, I need to work on building my relationship with God.

1 comment: