Thursday, March 21, 2013

Nonsense


Throughout this year, each day of the month, I'm "Treasure Hunting" in a Psalm. I've created a "Ponder Every Morsel of Truth" Book to record the truths as I learn them. The twenty-first of each month, I'm studying Psalm 28. Here's what Treasure I found today.

Draw me not away with the wicked, And with the workers of iniquity; That speak peace with their neighbors, But mischief is in their hearts. Psalm 28:3 (ASV)

Non·sense (noun)
1 a : words or language having no meaning or conveying no intelligible ideas; b (1) : language, conduct, or an idea that is absurd or contrary to good sense (2) : an instance of absurd action
2 a : things of no importance or value : trifles; b : affected or impudent conduct  http://www.merriam-webster.com

Sometime words seem like nonsense, they are gibberish, convey no intelligible ideas. And other times, we hear words that sound sweet and pleasant, and are just “fluff”. There is nothing behind the words, they are just words. 

Psalm 28:3 mentions those that speak peace, good things, but actually mean harm. As I thought about that, I had to evaluate my own speech. Do I speak nonsense just to be heard? Do I say one thing but mean another? Do I say I’ll do something, but have no intention of actually doing what I agreed to do? 

I thought about the phrase heard often in Christian communication, “I’ll pray for you.” That’s so easy to say, but often it’s said with good intentions, but we never follow through.  Saying “I’ll pray for you” and not praying is exactly like the wicked’s empty speech. We might was well be speaking nonsense, for our words have no meaning, they are just words. 

How do I know if my speech is nonsense or truth? The easiest way to make sure my speech is backed up with actions. If I say I’ll do something, I do it. The old adage is true, “actions speak louder than words”. One way to measure the value of one’s speech, is to evaluate their actions.  

So, will be speech be nonsense, of no value? Or will my words be truth, backed up by actions? 

To create a positive day, I need to make sure my speech is not nonsense, but that I’m speaking truth, backed up with actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment