Thursday, October 8, 2015

Proverbs 4:5-7: All-out Effort

Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; love her, and she will keep you. Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom. and in all your getting, get understanding. Proverbs 4:5-7

Get: by implication to own -- attain 
Wisdom: ethical and religious
Understanding: the faculty (an ability, natural or acquired, for a particular kind of action)
Do not forget: cause to forget, to be oblivious of
Turn away: to bend away (including moral deflection)

Forsake: be remote, absent, depart
Perserve: keep, watch, guard, protect
Love: beloved like, friend, to have affection for
Keep: guard from dangers, preserve

Principal: absolute chief, the first, in place, time, order or rank
Understanding: discernment

As I read these verses, I couldn't help but picture a football game. The intense desire of the teams to "get the ball" to "get the touchdown". Offense and Defense want that ball — and all the effort is directed to getting it! Offense has the ball, and what they do with it, is key if they want to keep it and score. Defense is in an all-out effort to get that ball either by causing a fumble, interception, or taking over on downs. All-out effort is put forth in "getting". 

Do I put forth the same effort in getting Wisdom? Do I get an all-out effort to get the treasure of Wisdom? 
And once I get wisdom, what do I do with it? Do I use it, or do I hide in the locker room? Having wisdom is one thing, but using the understanding of wisdom is a different level of play. It's using wisdom to direct my life. Wisdom should be a good friend, whom I want to have beside me throughout life. No matter what comes, wisdom will be there to direct and guard me.

Wisdom should be the first and foremost thing which I desire and strive to get, and it should have first place in my life. Wisdom begins with the fear of the Lord and that begins with a heart permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31MSG). 

All-out effort. First and foremost. Get Wisdom. It will change your life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment