Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Proverbs 4:3, 4: Influence

When I was my father’s son, tender and the only one in the sight of my mother, He also taught me, and said to me: “Let your heart retain my words; keep my commands, and live. Proverbs 4:3, 4

Heart: mind will, heart, from influence of 
Retain: hold, keep, hold firmly
Keep: observe = follow dictates of prudence, justice, kindness, wisdom
Commands: code of wisdom
Live: continue in life, remain alive

Influence. What makes us act, speak, think the way we do. We are all influenced by something or someone. And that influence impacts our life. 

When wisdom influences then the result is positive. However, in order for wisdom to be able to influence, the words, and code of wisdom must be known and held onto firmly. For what we don't know can't influence us. 

Influence. Impact. Predominance. What will control my thoughts, my actions, my attitude, my motives? If I want wisdom to have the greatest influence, then I had better grasp it and hold firmly to wisdom.

The only way for a heart to truly be influenced by wisdom, is of it to be permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). For a heart that respects and fears God, will be ready to hear and be influenced by wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment