Saturday, August 8, 2015

Trust: Accomplish His Plan

Trust

As I continue on my desire to have a heart permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God, I thought I'd study "Trust" throughout the Bible. What is trust? In whom do I place my trust? Who is trustworthy? Am I trustworthy? What are the results of trusting God? How do you continue to trust God with things don't go as I planned? 

I'm looking forward to learning about Trust, hope you will enjoy reading what I learn as I study God's Word. 
__________________________________________

And he [Abram] believed in (trusted in, relied on, remained steadfast to) the Lord, and He counted it to him as righteousness (right standing with God). Genesis 15:6
The command to go to the land which the Lord would show him, accompanied with the promise to make of him a great nation, had awakened in him a certain expectation; which, however, waited for some performance to ripen it into faith. But waiting in a state of suspense is not faith, but doubt; and faith after performance is not faith, but sight. 
Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible
What was there now, then, to call forth Abram‘s faith more than at the first promise? There was the reiteration of the promise. There was the withholding of the performance, leaving room for the exercise of pure faith. There was time to train the mind to this unaccustomed idea and determination. And, lastly, there was the sublime assurance conveyed in the sentence, “I am thy shield, thy exceeding great reward,” transcending all the limits of time and place, comprehending alike the present and the eternal, the earthly and the heavenly. This, coupled with all the recorded and unrecorded dealings of the Lord, leads him to conceive the nobler feeling of faith in the Promiser, antecedent to any part of the execution, any unfolding of the plan, or any removal of the obvious difficulty.
Thus, faith springs solely from the seed of promise. And from that moment there stands up and grows within the breast of man the right frame of mind toward the God of mercy - the germ of a mutual good understanding between God and man which will spread its roots and branches through the whole soul, to the exclusion of every noxious plant, and blossom forth unto the blessed fruit of all holy feelings and doings.
Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible

Abram trusted in the Lord even when it seemed impossible, because God had fulfilled other promises. Although Abram couldn't understand or even begin to see how God would accomplish His promise, Abram trusted. 

Abram trusted in God. And God saw that Abram was willing to trust God to make the seemingly impossible happen. When we place our trust in God and WAIT on Him to accomplish HIS plan in HIS time, we have a peace and joy that overflows when God acts. However, when we try to do things on our own, then we cause trouble for ourselves and others! Consequence of trust in God lead to promises fulfilled and joy! Consequence of trust in oneself or others, often leads to misery and heartache. 

If I want to learn to trust God and wait on Him to accomplish His plan for me and through me, then my heart must be permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). For only when I have a deep reverence and respect for God, will I be willing to wait on Him and TRUST that He will, in His time and in accordance with His will, accomplish His plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment