Monday, May 4, 2015

Giving Thanks

And you will joyfully give thanks [or …have patience with joy, giving thanks] to the Father who has made you able to have a share in ·all that he has prepared for his people in the kingdom of light [ the inheritance of the saints/holy ones in the light]. Colossians 1:12 (EXB)
Giving Thanks. 
This verse is not about giving thanks to God because of the material things He gave/gives us that we wanted or think we deserve. Rather this verse is about giving thanks, because of the Salvation God has given us. That is the most important and precious gift. All the other blessings that God gives are bonuses. 

God in His mercy and grace, has forgiven me of my sins. Because I have placed my trust in God and what His Son did on the cross—paid for my sins, I am now a child of His. If I can't give thanks for the gift of salvation alone, then I need to have a heart check. For that is the greatest gift. And the gift was not given me based on ANYTHING I did nor did I deserve the gift of His grace and mercy. 

As I read continued to meditate on this verse, I had to stop and think about "giving thanks". It's easy to "give thanks" when we get what we want. Yet, those times when God answers our prayers in ways which we don't understand, do I still give thanks? I should, especially in light of His gift of grace and mercy and salvation.

Giving thanks.... to God the Father.... for His amazing gift of salvation. That should be my hearts desire. No matter the circumstances. No matter how God answers my prayers. No matter...... just a grateful heart because God in is great love, saved me. That is enough. 

In order to permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31; MSG), I have to have a grateful heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment