Sunday, May 5, 2013

Shattered or Gently Molded


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 29. Here is what I learned.

The Eternal’s voice shatters the cedars; His power splinters the great cedars of Lebanon. Psalm 29:5 (VOICE)

The voice of the Lord splits the mighty cedars; the Lord shatters the cedars of Lebanon. Psalm 29:5 (NLT)

Facts about the Cedars of Lebanon: “Cedrus libani” is an evergreen coniferous tree growing up to 130 ft tall, with a trunk up to 8 ft 2 in in diameter. The Cedar of Lebanon was important to various ancient civilizations. The trees were used by the Phoenicians for building commercial and military ships, as well as houses, palaces, and temples. The Hebrew prophet Isaiah used the Lebanon Cedar as a metaphor for the pride of the world (Isaiah 2:13). Foreign rulers from both near and far would order the wood for religious and civil constructs, the most famous of which are King Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem and David's and Solomon's Palaces. Because of its significance the word Cedar is mentioned 75 times (Cedar 51 times, Cedars 24 times) in the Bible.  
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanon_Cedar)

"The Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon." - What a shame is it then that our hard hearts break not, yield not, though thunder-struck with the dreadful menaces of God's mouth! John Trapp

"The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars." "Black from the stroke above, the smouldering pine Stands a sad shatter'd trunk."
Noble trees fall prostrate beneath the mysterious bolt, or stand in desolation as momentoes of its power. Lebanon itself is not secure, high as it stands, and ancient as are its venerable woods: "Yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon." The greatest and most venerable of trees or men, may not reckon upon immunity when the Lord is abroad in his wrath. The gospel of Jesus has a like dominion over the most inaccessible of mortals; and when the Lord sends the word, it breaks hearts far stouter than the cedars. The Treasury of David

My name “Rhonda” means “strong and powerful”. Often I think I’m the strongest and most powerful being.. I’m super-woman! However, I have to say that I’m thankful that God is stronger and more powerful than I am. He only needs to speak and He can shatter the mighty cedars. 
When necessary, I’m thankful that God can break through my stubbornness and get my attention. But it’s much more pleasant a learning experience when I’m soft and pliable in His hands. 

To create a positive day, I can be shattered by God or I can choose to listen to Him and be molded into His image gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment