Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wish List


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 16. Here is what I learned.

I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord. Without you, I have nothing good.” Psalm 16:2 (GW)

I say to the Lord, You are my Lord; I have no good beside or beyond You. Psalm 16:2 (AMP)

And I have said, “Only you are my Lord! Every good thing I have is a gift from you.” Psalm 16:2 (CEV)

"My good is nowhere except in thee; I have no source of good of any kind - happiness, hope, life, safety, salvation - but in thee. My good is not without thee." This accords with the idea in the other member of the sentence, where he acknowledges Yahweh as his Lord; in other words, he found in Yahweh all that is implied in the idea of an object of worship - all that is properly expressed by the notion of a God. He renounced all other gods, and found his happiness - his all - in Yahweh. Barnes' Notes on the Bible 

It is a greater glory to us that we are allowed to serve God, than it is to him that we offer him that service. He is not rendered happy by us; but we are made happy by him. He can do without such earthly servants; but we cannot do without such a heavenly Master. William Secker

There are times when I find myself thinking and yes, maybe even wishing, some things were different in my life. Having a husband, less pain, more money to buy things I’d like, and the list continues. And if I allow myself to dwell on the things I don’t have, and that are really out of my control, I find myself becoming miserable. That’s when I remind myself of the Children of Israel. Each time they looked around at what other Nations had, or looked at their current circumstances while forgetting where they’ve been, they started to murmur and complain. Whey they wanted a King, because all the other Nations had one, God said, OK I’ll give you a King. And then problems followed. 

I don’t want to get my “wishes” if they are not God’s best! I don’t want to settle for second, or third options. God has and will continue to shower me with gifts—exactly what I need for the very moment. God has an endless supply of gifts and He knows much better than I what I need for this moment, day, time in my life. 
When my wish list is focused on me and me only, than I’m heading for trouble. But when I make sure my wish list is God-focused, I know full well that every wish will come true. 

To create a positive day, I need to make sure my wish list is God focused, and rejoice in the fact that God has given me and will continue to give me everything I need. A day filled with God’s gifts is a positive day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment