Friday, March 29, 2013

My God!


Throughout this year, each day of the month, I'm "Treasure Hunting" in a Psalm. I've created a "Ponder Every Morsel of Truth" Book to record the truths as I learn them. The twenty-ninth of each month, I'm studying Psalm 91. Here's what Treasure I found today.

I will say to the Lord, “You are my ·place of safety [refuge] and ·protection [fortress]. You are my God and I ·trust [have confidence in] you.” Psalm 91:2 (EXB)

This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. Psalm 91:2 (NLT)

I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust! Psalm 91:2 (AMP)

"My refuge, my fortress, my God." "My refuge." God is our "refuge." He who avails himself of a refuge is one who is forced to fly. It is a quiet retreat from a pursuing enemy. And there are trials, and temptations, and enemies, from which the Christian does best to fly. He cannot resist them. They are too strong for him. His wisdom is to fly into the refuge of the secret place of his God - to rest in the shadow of the Almighty. His "strength is to sit still" there. Isaiah 30:7. "My fortress." The Psalmist says, moreover, that God is his "fortress." Here - the idea is changed - no longer a peaceful, quiet hiding-place, but a tower of defence - strong, manifest, ready to meet the attacks of all enemies, ready and able to resist them all. God is a Friend who meets every want in our nature, who can supply every need. So when we are weak and fainting, and unable to meet the brunt of battle, and striving against sin and sorrow and the wrath of man, he is our safe, quiet resting-place - our fortress also where no harm can reach us, no attack injure us. "My God." Now the Psalmist, as a summing up of all his praises, says "I will say of him, He is ... my God!" Is there anything omitted in the former part of his declaration? Everything is here - all possible ascription Of honour, and glory, and power to him "as God" - "God over all, blessed for ever," and of love, reverence, trust, obedience, and filial relation towards him on the part of the Psalmist, as My God ... when reflecting on the refuge and strength which the Lord has always been to him, and recalling his blessed experiences of sweet communion with God - words fail him. He can only say (but oh, with what expression!) My God! Mary B. M. Duncan 
As if it were not enough to call the Lord his refuge and fortress, he adds, "My God I in him will I trust." Now he can say no more; "my God" means all, and more than all, that heart can conceive by way of security. It was most meet that he should say "in him will I trust," since to deny faith to such a one were wilful wickedness and wanton insult. He who dwells in an impregnable fortress, naturally trusts in it; and shall not he who dwells in God feel himself well at ease, and repose his soul in safety? O that we more fully carried out the Psalmist's resolve! We have trusted in God let us trust him still. He has never failed us, why then should we suspect him? To trust in man is natural to fallen nature, to trust in God should be as natural to regenerated nature. Where there is every reason and warrant for faith, we ought to place our confidence without hesitancy or wavering. Dear reader, pray for grace to say, "In him will I trust." The Treasury of David

My God. Since He really is MY God, that fact should impact my life in an amazing way. My God, means a personal, real, intimate relationship with God Almighty. And if the fact that He is “My God” isn’t impacting my life, than I have a problem. The problem with not fully realizing that God is “My God”, is that I think I’m not only in control of my life, but that I can “do it alone”, and therefore, I ignore God’s direction. When I ignore God and head out on my own, I usually find myself floundering, and wondering how I got into the mess I find myself.
“My God” is more than just a “place” to run and hide when I’m afraid, but “My God” is a companion Who wants to be a part of my life—each and every day. “My God” is not a saying, or feeling, rather “My God” is a personal relationship with the Almighty Creator, who I should not only respect, but love and obey and realize that He is “mine”. My God, is worthy of honor, glory, praise, and trust.

To create a positive day, the fact that God is really “My God” needs to impact my life—He wants to be a part of my day, it’s up to me whether I truly allow Him to be “My God”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment