Sunday, January 13, 2013

Who & Actions


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 146. Here is what I learned.


Praise ye Jehovah.
Praise Jehovah, O my soul.
While I live will I praise Jehovah:
I will sing praises unto my God
while I have any being.
Psalm 146: 1, 2 (ASV)

This psalm is a general psalm of praise which might be used at any time, containing thoughts such as are appropriately suggested by a contemplation of the character of God, and his dealings with people. The idea is that of the blessedness of trusting in God; the security of those who do it; the superiority of this confidence and peace over any which is reposed in princes; and the evidence that it will be safe to trust in him, furnished by his merciful interpositions in behalf of the oppressed, the hungry, the prisoner, the blind, the bowed down, the righteous, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow. Barnes' Notes on the Bible

As I read through this Psalm, I realized it was packed with reasons God deserves my praise. I like alliteration outlines, so I created this outline of Psalm 146.  

The purpose of praise is God. (vs 1)
The plan of praise is all my life. (vs 1)
The practice of praise is in song. (vs 2)
The prolongation of praise is eternity. (vs 2)
The perverse direction of praise is to people. (vs 3)
The proof of inadequacy of praise to people. (vs 4)
The premium for praising God—happiness. (vs 5)
The principle of praise is that God is faithful forever. (vs 6)
The help for the pauperized is praise-worthy. (vs 7)
The penitent peoples’ reason for praise. (vs 8)
The love of God is provocation for praise. (vs 9)
The persistence of praise. (vs 10)

What I learned today from Psalm 146, are specific examples of God’s character—Who He is, is why He does what He does. And because of Who God is and His actions, He is worthy of praise and honor. 

To create a positive day, I need to recognize Who God is and take notice of His actions and care in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment