Saturday, January 19, 2013

Desire


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 15. Here is what I learned.

Psalm 15 begins with two questions. Who can spend time with God today? Who can spend time with God for all eternity? 

As I read Psalm 15:1, the first thoughts that came to mind were

The Desire
The Direction of Desire
The Duration of Desire

To ask a question, one must want to know the answer. The desire is spending time; allowing someone to have an impact in my life. 

The direction of desire is God, and the Name used is Yahweh. This is God’s proper name, a name signifying deity. 

The duration of desire has two parts: one temporary and immediate (temple; tent) the second permanent (holy hill). 

Do I have a desire for God
to have an impact in my life
on a daily basis and for eternity?  

With whom do I want to spend time? Friends. I want to be in the company of people I enjoy. I like to be with like-minded people. 

Psalm 15 starts with the Desire to be with God. Do I have that desire? Many of us want to “spend eternity” with God. But do we want Him around daily? If He is around daily, does that put a damper on my speech? my activities? my thoughts? my attitudes? That’s the meaning of Psalm 15. 

If I want to spend eternity with God, then I should want to spend each and every day in God’s presence. Remember, God is present. It is just do I acknowledge that fact and allow it to have an impact on my life? 

What is my desire today? Do I want to have fellowship with God and enjoy His presence? That doesn’t mean that I sit around reading the Bible all day. Rather, that God presence should have an impact on how I live. The rest of Psalm 15 gives examples of the impact of the desire to spend time with God should have in my life. 

To create a positive day, I need to check to see what (or Who) is the attention of my desire. If my desire is greater for things or people, rather than God, then I need a “desire adjustment”. Only if my desire is wanting God to have a daily impact in my life, will each day be positive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment