Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Building My Relationship


This year, I'm sharing my "Treasures" of my study of my "Ponder the Morsels" book. I've picked 31 Psalms to study throughout 2013. Today I studied Psalm 91. Here is what I learned.

Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. Psalm 91:14 (ASV)

Because you love me, I will rescue you. I will protect you because you know my name. Psalm 91:14 (GW)

The Lord says, “Whoever ·loves [desires] me, I will ·save [rescue]. I will ·protect [lift to safety] those who know ·me [my name]. Psalm 91:14 (EXB)

Because (for): assuredly, but, certainly, doubtless.
Set: to be (inaccessibly) high, be excellent
Love: join to love, delight in, be attached to, strongest attachment, himself with me; is my friend.
Deliver (rescue): carry away safe, deliver, cause to escape.
Know: be aware, comprehend, perceive, understand, acknowledge, acquainted with.
Name: honor, authority, character, especially as embodying the (revealed) character of, 

Because he hath set his love upon me - Has become attached to me; has united himself with me; is my friend. The Hebrew word expresses the strongest attachment, and is equivalent to our expression - "to fall in love." It refers here to the fact that God is the object of supreme affection on the part of his people; and it also here implies, that this springs from their hearts; that they have seen such beauty in his character, and have such strong desire for him, that their hearts go out in warm affection toward him.
Therefore will I deliver him - I will save him from trouble and from danger.
I will set him on high - By acknowledging him as my own, and treating him accordingly.
Because he hath known my name - He has known me; that is, he understands my true character, and has learned to love me. Barnes' Notes on the Bible

There are two responsibilities I’m to carry out in Psalm 91:14: 1. Love God. 2. Know God. And they are both intertwined. If I love God, I want to get to know Him, and the more I know about God, the more I’ll love Him. Think of your friendships. The deeper the love, the more you know, the more you want to spend time with that individual, and the friendship continues to become deeper and more meaningful. 

Love God. Know God. Two simple statements. But what do they mean?
Love: delight in, be attached to, strongest attachment. Know God: be aware, comprehend, perceive, understand, acknowledge, acquainted with. Simply put, I need to build a relationship with God. 
If I delight in God and get acquainted with Him, then He should have an impact in my life.  The impact starts with several things:
  1. WANTING to obey His Word & to do that, I need to spend time IN His Word.
  2. Share Him with others. Don’t you want others to know about your great friends? “Can’t stop talking about Him”
  3. Talk with God. Praying is not giving God my wish list. Rather it’s about being ”in tune” with God so that I understand His will.
  4. Create a desire to love God even more, which will be a natural occurrence as I get to know God. 

To create a positive day I need to work on building my relationship with God; the more I love Him, the more I want to know Him—the more I know Him, the more I love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment