Saturday, October 18, 2014

Friends

continued.... "deep sense of reverence for God" (Acts 9:31). 
"I am a companion of all those who fear, revere, and worship You, and of those who observe and give heed to Your precepts." Psalm 119:63 (AMP)

The people who are my companions, friends, say something about me. Biblically friends have a responsibility to each other.... "In the same way that iron sharpens iron, a person sharpens the character of his friend." Proverbs 27:17. 

I'm thankful for the friends God has put in my life. They have helped me grow in so many ways. Having friends who have a deep sense of reverence for God are vital to developing my own sense of reverence for God. 


Friends, companions. That word companion means "knit together". I'm not a knitter, but from what I understand if use different types of yarns in the same project, your finished project won't hold up to use and washing. For example, some yarns have "memory" and hold their shape better than others. And some shrink when washed. So if part of your project is made with yarn that shrinks and another part with yarn that holds it shape, your project will be ruined as the shapes and yarns change over time. 

This is true with friendships. Those close friends should be ones that encourage and help you in developing a closer relationship with God. 
If your friends are not living a godly life, then they will tend to give you wrong advice and discourage you from making godly choices. 

I don't think this means isolate ourselves from unbelievers, rather just make sure that your companions, those that you are closely knit together with, have a deep sense of reverence for God. 

Now.... what type of friend am I? I personally need to develop that deep sense of reverence for God so that I can be the friend God wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment