As I was studying Galatians 5;22, 23, I decided to see what other verses used the same words.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23 (NKJV)
Faithfulness: character of dependability
I thank my God, making mention of you always in my prayers, hearing of your love and faith which you have toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints, that the sharing of your faith may become effective by the acknowledgment of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus. Philemon 1:4-6 (NKJV)
Faithfulness is Directional
- hearing of your love and faith which you have toward
- Toward: motion towards to interface with; literally, moving toward a goal or destination
Faithfulness is Definite
- toward the Lord Jesus and toward all the saints
- It's not a random goal, rather it's specific — to the Lord Jesus and then the saints.
Faithfulness is to be Dispersed
- sharing of your faith
- Sharing: something in which one has participation
- Faithfulness is active and because you have taken part in God's salvation, a natural progression is to share that faith with others.
Character of Dependability. Faithfulness toward Christ, then followed toward the saints, all with the underlying understanding of what God did for me — His gift of salvation.