Sunday, November 8, 2015

Proverbs 9:10: Start at the Very Beginning

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10
Fear: reverence, piety
Beginning: first principle of; starting place
Wisdom:  ethical and religious; to know
Knowledge: discernment, understanding, wisdom, including obedience
Holy One: divine name
Understand: perceive, give heed to, distinguish, consider with attention

I enjoy Musicals, and one of my favorites is "Sound of Music." When 
Fräulein Maria teaches the von Trapp children to sing, she "starts at the very beginning." 
Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with A-B-C
When you sing you begin with do-re-mi
When seeking wisdom, one too must start at the very beginning—and that is fearing God. Why is that beginning of wisdom? 

I used a new kitchen appliance last night—a pie maker. A few days ago, I read the recipes so that I could buy what I needed. When I started making the pies last night, I carefully read the instructions as I assembled the pies. I set the timer and waited. When I opened the lid, I was a bit surprised that the edges of the pies were quite well done. 

I checked the instruction booklet, and found it recommend that I use a different pie crust for the top than the bottom. However, that instruction was listed AFTER the instructions on how to cook the pies. If they had included that bit of information AT THE BEGINNING, it would have been very helpful! The pies were still edible, just the edges were a bit crunchy. 

Start at the beginning. If you really want to learn something new, starting at the very beginning is vital in gathering all the information necessary. Missing a key step can change the outcome. 

Back to our question, "Why is fearing God the beginning of wisdom?" Because He is the source of wisdom. He is the omnipotent, all-knowing One. As the source of wisdom: He is the One who understands the past, present, and future. He is the One who created everything, so He understand it all. He is the One who designed the World and all that is in it.
What better place to seek answers and knowledge than from the One who created us and the World in which we live. 

Start at the very beginning. Wisdom is available. Yet, we can't go it on our own. We need the guidance and understanding that only God can provide. Wisdom is attainable, if we go to the source. Fearing God begins with a heart permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). For when my heart and mindset is focused on fearing and honoring God, then I'll want to listen and obey His wisdom. 

Start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment