Thursday, November 5, 2015

Proverbs 8:32-36: The Happiest Place on Earth

“Now therefore, listen to me, my children, for blessed are those who keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, and do not disdain it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains favor from the Lord; But he who sins against me wrongs his own soul; all those who hate me love death.” Proverbs 8:32-36

Blessed: O thy happiness!
Keep: observe, celebrate

Be wise: be or become wise, act wisely
Disdain: neglect

Blessed: how happy!
Watching: of man watching for admission

Obtains: to secure
Favor: acceptance, good will, delight

Sins against me: the one missing me (Wisdom) is one wronging himself
Wrongs: treat violently, both physical and ethical
Hate: enemy, foe, detestable, highly offensive, repugnant, disgusting
Love: beloved like, friend

"The happiest place on earth." That phrase has been linked to a place not far from my home, Disney World. Anytime you go, there are LONG lines of people waiting to enter, get on rides, or take part in any of the other activities. They will wait for hours to ride a 1.5 minute ride or the longest (Hall of Presidents) 22 minutes 48 seconds. 

However, that "happiness" is often very short lived, as you leave one ride and start the wait for another. The hot sun, crowds, and hunger, soon make everyone fussy and irritable. They have forgotten that "fun ride" they just enjoyed a few minutes ago. 

Wisdom on the other hand, provides long lasting happiness. We are to be waiting in anticipation for all that Wisdom has to offer us! That excitement of knowing and learning and yes, even being corrected, so that we can enjoy life to the fullest. 
And not only can we enjoy happiness, we secure delight from God! That is a great reason for happiness! 

The happiest place on earth, isn't an amusement park, rather it is found in anticipation and acceptance of Wisdom. When a heart is permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God, the anticipation of getting Wisdom grows stronger. 

The happiest place on earth—the anticipation and acceptance of Wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment