Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Proverbs 10:14: What am I hoarding?

Wise people store up knowledge, but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction. Proverbs 10:14
Wise: ethically and religiously
Store up: "treasure up" a thing, hoard
Mouth: according to the measure of, in accordance with
Foolish: to be perverse
Knowledge: perception, skill
Near: imminent
Destruction: dismaying, ruin, terror.

Treasure up. Hoard. 

Stuff. We all accumulate stuff. The Castle has a car and a half garage. Which gives us room to store stuff. Some of it is worthy of keeping, some of it really is not. But since we "have the room", it stays on the shelf. 

The other day, we had to move a few boxes around, and as I was reading the content labels, I thought to myself, "Why are we keeping this?" Sometimes I thought of a good answer, "Sentimental value." Other times, I had no reason, except that we have the room, so why not keep it? 

Treasure up. I've discussed the concept of "treasure up" a few times as it relates to wisdom. #TreasureUp
You can read them here: 

Wise people store up knowledge. Wise people. That is a description that I'd like applied to me. I want to be known as a "wise person". But before others can see wisdom in my attitudes and actions, I must hoard up wisdom. For if it's not stored up, then it cannot be used. 

Wise people. Treasure up. Hoard. The store house must be prepared for the wisdom, and that begins with a heart permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God (Acts 9:31 MSG). For a heart that fears God is one ready to receive wisdom from God. 

Wise people. Treasure up. Hoard. What am I hoarding? 

No comments:

Post a Comment