Thursday, October 29, 2015

Proverbs 8:4, 5: Am I willing to listen and learn?

“To you, O men, I call, and my voice is to the sons of men. O you simple ones, understand prudence, and you fools, be of an understanding heart." Proverbs 8:4, 5
Simple: needing, "open minded", deceive, flatter
Understand: consider, diligent, discern
Fools: confidence in bad sense, silly, 
Heart: mind

Wisdom is directing her attention to those who disregard wisdom and sound advice. She wants the foolish to hear and quit ignoring the advice given. 

I bought a bread mix and decided to try my parent's bread machine. I hooked it up and carefully read the instructions. I put in the ingredients and turned the machine on and waited. And waited. And waited. However, when I went to check the machine.... NOTHING had happened. Frustrating. 

I am not an expert on Bread Machines. This is the first time I've used one. But I THOUGHT I had read the directions carefully. Yet, the machine didn't work. 

Wisdom tells me two things. 1. I didn't hook the machine up right. 2. The machine is broken. 
Wisdom also tells me that before I throw the machine out, I need to check to see if I assembled the machine wrong. That is the first place to check, since I this is a new endeavor for me. I can't blame the machine, if I did something wrong. 

The same is true in other aspects of my life. Before making decisions I need to check with Wisdom. I need to know the instructions of how to proceed. And if things don't go how I think they should, I need to check back with Wisdom to see if I did something wrong. If not, then I need to continue learning from Wisdom so that I can respond appropriately and learn from the situation. 

Wisdom is wanting to teach me. Wisdom is available and ready to teach. The key is, "Am I willing to listen and learn?" The foolish one says, "No thanks, I'll do this without instruction and see where it leads me." 
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death. Proverbs 14:12 
A deep sense of reverence for God will open my heart and ears to what Wisdom has to say. And it will also create a desire to put that Wisdom into practice.  Am I willing to listen and learn? Or will be foolish and ignore sound advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment